Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Number 1 or 18

This is my first post. I believe I'm supposed to let everyone know my name, which is Mike Giambra. And I think the syllabus said something about mentioning previous relationships and how girlfriends have become the ruin of my life. Well, my love life has been rocky from the very beginning, considering every girlfriend I've had has dumped me 3 months later for a girl. The first happened in 1st grade but, its still to soon to talk about. I'm kinda tired of dating these kind of women, you know the type, women that date women, the name escapes me. But I do have a girlfriend now and she's great, we've been dating for a year and she hasnt dumped me for a girl yet! But she has made out with my ex-girlfriend which was pretty f'd up.

So the Donald Richie reading was excellent. I often have a difficult time comprehending one's anthropological or philosophical analysis on a particular group or idea, but I felt the Donald Richie reading was insightful look into the Japanese culture and the relationship they have with nature or what they believe is natural. As Richie pointed out: "Nothing is natural until it has been so created." The Japanese construction and arrangement to reveal nature for its resemblence to the raw nature, under the influence of pattern and shape, presents me with an unseen view on Japanese culture that I have not taken notice to before. Perfect alignment of the human being within nature seem to hold great importance within the Japanese society. The concept of proper placement and order can be seen in ikebana as it can be seen within the costumed workers and students of Japan. There are many points Richie made that I found interesting but it is difficult for me to recall every one. In summary, this reading is real cool.

Although I did enjoy the reading, I had one problem with the Richie's perspective, which was subjectivity of his point of view, which strongly contrasts the John Berger reading, "The Senses of Sight," which held an objective standpoint. In the spirit of our first exercise, observing and interacting with a neighborhood within the Minoto-ku ward, I felt it was beneficial for me to relate and become acquainted with an objective point-of-view before I make any pre-judgements. I really enjoyed the John Berger reading for what it was, an unobstructed objective observation of a everyday people engaged in everyday activities. I have a strong connection with John Berger, for I find myself to be very intrigued by the actions of strangers, thus making me more observant. I'm afraid of making the mistake of being subjective when I am describing the actions within my community. While the Richie allowed me to see the point of view of a gaijin living in a foreign country, I wouldn't want to make the same comparisons when describing my community/neighborhood. I want it to be similar to Berger's description while maintaining my own sense of observation and style of writing.

I look forward to the writings I produce in this class, and hope that it strengthens my writing and observation abilities, allowing me to strive for better work, making an impact not only for my own mind, but for those who surround me as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home